Austin’s Landmark Hotel Built By a Cattle Baron

Jesse Driskill, a cattleman who made a fortune feeding the Confederate Army beef, hosted the grand opening of the Austin hotel that bore his name on December 20, 1886.

Driskill lost money on his pet project and in 1888 lost the hotel altogether in a poker game.  The Driskill was closed as much as it was open until another cattle baron, George Littlefield, bought the place in 1895.  The Austin landmark was Lyndon Johnson’s second home, where he took Lady Bird on their first date and where he watched the returns on Election Night 1964.

Leave a Reply